What is the shivling ?
- Shivling = Lord Shiva + Linga
- The Shiva Purana describes the origin of the lingam, known as Shiva-linga, as the beginning-less and endless cosmic pillar (Stambha) of fire, the cause of all causes.
- Lord Shiva is pictured as emerging from the lingam – the cosmic pillar of fire – proving his superiority over the gods Brahma and Vishnu.
- It is said that the base symbolizes Lord Brahma, the pedestal symbolizes Lord Vishnu and the pillar symbolizes Lord Shiva.
Materials required :
- Wheat flour / modeling clay
- Vessels which resembles shape of parts of shivling
- Knife / cutter
- Flat surface like ice-cream spoons ( optional)
- Acrylic fabric color / nail paint / any water proof colour
- Take some wheat flour. Slowly add water and keep binding the flour.
- Make a hard dough.Add some oil to make it smooth and knead(mix) again.
- Take vessels to make 4 shapes of shivling. Grease them with oil.
- Fill them with dough by gentle press. Remove the dough from every vessels by tapping.
- Give them proper shape.
- Dry them in microwave or under sunlight.Join them using glue.
- Give it final shape by knife or cutter.
- Paint it with black colour. Then draw eyes. That’s it…!!
- Use finely ground wheat flour.(we use it for making chapattis.)
- How much flour you should take? Fill all your require vessels with flour and empty them in one big vessels. Add some extra flour.
- While making dough,add water slowly and bind simultaneously.
- Make dough as hard as possible. Not too hard such that it has cracks while giving shape.
- If dough is soft then it will deform quickly.
- After making dough, add enough oil and knead properly to make it smooth.
- Before filling vessels,don’t forget to apply oil properly so that dough can be removed easily.
- Fill vessels with dough by gentle pressing. Remember that dough should not have cracks while filling.
- Before drying, give shape to dough with flat surface like ice-cream spoon. Cut extra part with knife.
- While drying in microwave, some part of dough may swollen but don’t worry you can remove this using knife.Under sunlight , it may take 2-4 days to dry completely.
- Dry the shaped dough as soon as possible.Ans dry it completely to prevent from fungi.
- After drying, it is easy to give perfect shape to shivling.
- Use water-resistance glue and water-resistance color because while worshiping Shiving( Lord Shiva) we use water or milk .
- How to draw eyes easily : Cut out the shape of eyes on rough paper and put this paper on shivling then paint.